These gluten-free waffles made from garbanzo beans perfectly complement Moroccan-spiced chicken with cucumber relish.
They’re a savory, low-carb spin on a classic comfort dish. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (without xanthan gum)
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning (ras el hanout), divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sugar apricot preserves
- 3/4 cup chilli sauce
- 1. Preheat the waffle iron. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, 1/2 cup green onions, 2 tablespoons mint, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Place the garbanzo beans, egg, parsley, gluten-free flour, 1 tablespoon of Moroccan seasoning and remaining green onions in a blender. Cover and pulse until blended (batter with be thick). Bake waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, mix chicken, preserves, chilli sauce and remaining Moroccan seasoning; heat through. Serve with waffles. Top with yogurt mixture and additional mint.